Human mistakes, lengthy rework and delayed software releases are common challenges in manual testing. Wise automated testing successfully meets these challenges.With automated testing you can have improved test coverage for large data intensive applications. You can reduce your time to test the application. Quality test automation can help reducing the overall testing time from days to hours. It also, provides for parallel testing as the scripts can be run on multiple devices, platforms, operating systems and browsers simultaneously resulting in delivery of a better-quality product faster. Better planned and efficiently executed automated testing helps in reducing costs yielding high ROI.
Testing Types We Automate
With more than a decade and a half experience and a strong test automation team, Intersoft is ready to help thoroughly test your software solutions and make sure that you enjoy all the advantages of automated testing.
Whether it’s web, mobile or desktop, we define and implement appropriate strategies and methodologies for test automation
Our Approach to Automated Testing
- Test automation feasibility study and ROI analysis.
- Test automation tool evaluation and selection.
- Identification of test cases for automation and prepare trace ability and milestone timeline.
- Test automation framework design and implementation.
- Test automation scripting and execution.
- Test result analysis and reporting.
What Test Cases to Automate?
This is one of the most important questions which needs to be answered before moving towards automated testing. It is impossible to automate all testing so determining which test cases should be automated first becomes crucial. The benefit of automated testing is linked to how many times a given test can be repeated. Tests which are only performed a few times are better left for manual testing. Good test cases for automation are ones that are run frequently and require large amounts of data to perform the same action.
We can get the most benefit out of automated testing efforts by automating
- Repetitive tests that run for multiple builds.
- Tests that tend to cause human error.
- Tests that require multiple data sets.
- Frequently used functionality that introduces high risk conditions.
- Tests that are impossible to perform manually.
- Tests that run on several different hardware or software platforms and configurations
- Tests that take a lot of effort and time when manual testing.
Automated Software Testing: Is it Feasible?
Introduced prematurely, test automation may only increase cost in terms of time, effort and money. Therefore, at Intersoft we propose to start with feasibility study. Automation feasibility study considers the following aspects
Application maturity and stability
Minimal automation percentage that we can provide for your application
Only after considering these aspects we propose an optimal approach to automate testing in your project and describe expected benefits in numbers. We provide test automation services as a stand-alone service or as a part of managed testing services.
Advantages of Automated testing with Intersoft
High Coverage: Though we rely on feasibility study, we always aim to reach automation coverage you set (up to 80%).
Customer Friendly Format
Applying keyword-driven approach, we present test cases and expected results as text records in a table or spreadsheet. This customer-friendly format offers several benefits:
- Clear view of test coverage
- No need for programing skills to understand the quality of test cases
- Easy control over testing process for a PM
Broad Scope: We develop test scripts for both regression testing and new functionality.
Seamless Integration: We make automated tests an integral part of your continuous delivery system/build automation process.
Efficient Communication: We continuously communicate with BAs, Developers and Manual testers to fully understand your requirements and priorities and ensure a comprehensive automated test process.
Training Options: We also offer training to your test team to ensure automated test support throughout the project lifecycle.
Tools We Use: Our testers have ample experience in using the following test automation tools
Microsoft Coded UI Tests
HP Unified Functional Tester
But, we can also use the test automation tools of your choice. We provide proof of concept (POC) to demonstrate our competence in using tool(s) you provide.
Challenges We Face and How We Mitigate them
- No written requirements – We continuously communicate with rest of the project team and perform exploratory testing based on the experience we have in the domain.
- Changing requirements which may affect multiple test scripts - To provide efficient automated testing services, we follow good practices for script maintenance, which allows us to modify internal keywords/actions without involving test scripts directly.
- Large volume of regression testing to be covered quickly - We select the application areas that are most efficient to automate.
Large volume of test data - We address this challenge with the help of efficient all-round strategy
- We apply data-driven approach to cover large volume of different types of test data.
- We use various data management tools that help streamline test data storage and avoid time-crunches.